Friday, April 30, 2010

What Peace Corps Means to Me


In my view Peace Corps is about bringing people together in rare and unique ways. It is about facilitating communication. Where I live many women over 25 can’t read or write. Many men over 25 don’t know how to type or use the Internet. Most families share one cell phone and almost nobody has a mailing address. Being in this small mountain village I see myself as their voice to the outside world, as well as voice from the outside world. In many ways I am the networker of my valley, putting it into contact with the world beyond Morocco. Last week and this week our town has hosted a small permaculture NGO with members from Ireland, Spain and Australia. My town now has a wikipedia web page. It has been submitted to be included in Moroccan guidebooks. It has contacted outsiders to help get involved in its beekeeping, development, and artist associations. In short, it is making it is making its small voice heard, louder and farther away then ever before and that is bringing it together with new people from across the globe.  I am glad to be a part of that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment