Sunday, March 7, 2010

‘What am I doing here?’ Part 2


To the questions asked in Part 1 of  ‘What am I doing here?’ I have only rudimentary answers: I am here learning about the world, staying employed, hoping to make the world a better place and myself a better person. But in another way, the question ‘What am I doing here?’ is a practical one, encompassing questions like,  ‘What is Peace Corps?’ and ‘What do I do every day?’ These questions at least are easier to answer:

The Mission of the Peace Corps, as established by John F. Kennedy in 1961, is “to promote world peace and friendship”
That mission is broken up into three goals:
  1. Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women
  2. Helping promote a better understandings of Americans on the part of the peoples served
  3. Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans

In joining the Peace Corps your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to promote world peace and friendship. So that is what I am doing here, promoting world peace and friendship! Naturally that is a wonderful mission and one that I am proud to have accepted, however it does leave a lot of room for independent and creative action. Even the three goals, which determine how I spend my day, are a bit lack luster when it comes to specifics. Therefore everyday is unique and different, but I will try to explain, in general, what I am doing here.

Part 3 to follow…

No comments:

Post a Comment